4 Cup Sweet Cherries – halved and pitted. (Fresh is best, frozen – drained)
¾ Cup Granulated Sugar (divided, SEE RECIPE)
¼ Cup Plus 4 teaspoons – water (divided)
2 tbls Cornstarch or Arrow Root
½ box Graham crackers – Whole Wheat OR Gluten Free
½ cup chopped Walnuts – Toast or Roast for better flavor.
1/3 cup corn oil
16 oz Reduced Fat Cream Cheese
2 Cups Non Fat Greek Yogurt
6 tbls Confectionary Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Combine cherries, ½ cup Granulated Sugar, and ¼ cup Water in large saucepan and bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch with 4 tsp of water and dissolve cornstarch. Stir the mixture in to cherry mixture and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil turn down heat to medium high and stir constantly until the liquid thickens, about 1-2 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside
2. Put Graham crackers in food processor until finely ground and add the walnuts, pulsing until finely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in 1/4 cup granulated sugar, then add the corn oil. Stir and combine. Press graham cracker mixture into 9X13 inch baking pan, or individual pie tins.
- Beat cream cheese, yogurt, confectionary sugar, vanilla in a medium bowl with electric mixer until smooth, scraping sides down as necessary. Spread mixture over the crust. Spoon the cherry mixture over the top.
Cover and Refrigerate until cold. About 3 hours. Can be made the day before.
3 Tablespoons Butter (can use the low fat kind as well)
2 Cups Onion – Chopped
1 Cup Carrots – Chopped fine
1 Cup Celery – Chopped fine
3 Medium Local Pears – Cored and Sliced (about 4 cups)
5 Cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (or homemade stock)
2 Tbls Apple Jack or Calvados Liquor or Pear Liquor
½ tsp Dried Marjoram (crumbled) (may sub- pinch sage or thyme)
½ tsp Course Salt
Pinch Ground White Pepper
2 Cups Diced Cooked Chicken
1 tsp Cider Vinegar (optional)
Making a Roux for thickening your soup.
4 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons flour
Heat butter over medium heat and then add your flour whisking vigorously. When mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat and let cook, whisking occasionally until it is toasty brown and nutty aroma about 3-5 minutes .
Roux can be used immediately to thicken liquid that is at or below room temp. To thicken soup it is best to allow roux to cool to room temp or refrigerate before use. It is easier to make ahead. It will keep in refrigerator tightly wrapped for a month.
To Make Soup
Melt 3 Tbls of butter in heavy large sauce pan over medium high heat. Add onion and Sauté for about 5 minutes until the onions become tranlucent. Add carrot, celery and continue to sauté until vegetables are tender about 5-7 minutes. Add pears and sauté for another 2 minutes, Add in the Chicken Broth, apple jack liquor, marjoram, salt and pepper. Turn heat up to medium high til just about boils and add 2 tablespoons of your roux at a time and cook until soup thickens. Stir in Diced Cooked Chicken. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add cider vinegar if soup tastes too sweet.
Garnish with Pepita’s (toasted pumpkin seeds)
1 cup Fresh Corn Kernels
½ cup Buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
1 Tbls melted butter
¼ cup Corn Meal
¼ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Fresh Cilantro
3 stalks green onion (scallions), chopped
½ Red Jalapeño or chili pepper of your choice
½ pound Cooked Shrimp – deveined and chopped
¼ cup Oil for Frying
- Take half of the fresh corn kernels and put in food processor until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the pureed corn, buttermilk, eggs, butter and the remaining whole corn kernels.
- In separate bowl combine flour, corn meal, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Stir in the corn mixture into your dry ingredients, incorporating all ingredients, and then add the cilantro, chopped green onion, jalapeño, and shrimp.
- In medium skillet heat vegetable oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Drop spoonfuls of the corn/shrimp mixture into hot oil.
- Fry the cakes for about 2 minutes a side or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
Make a quick salsa to top them with, or just squeeze fresh lemon and serve.
Can also be served over a garden salad with a buttermilk dressing.
Pumpkin Ravioli with Savory Goat Cheese Sauce makes a delicious meal for your family. This meal is ideal for the holiday season for a great dish for a dinner party with your friends and family.