1 cup Fresh Corn Kernels
½ cup Buttermilk
2 eggs beaten
1 Tbls melted butter
¼ cup Corn Meal
¼ tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Fresh Cilantro
3 stalks green onion (scallions), chopped
½ Red Jalapeño or chili pepper of your choice
½ pound Cooked Shrimp – deveined and chopped
¼ cup Oil for Frying
- Take half of the fresh corn kernels and put in food processor until smooth.
- In a medium bowl combine the pureed corn, buttermilk, eggs, butter and the remaining whole corn kernels.
- In separate bowl combine flour, corn meal, baking soda, salt and sugar.
- Stir in the corn mixture into your dry ingredients, incorporating all ingredients, and then add the cilantro, chopped green onion, jalapeño, and shrimp.
- In medium skillet heat vegetable oil over medium high heat for about 5 minutes.
- Drop spoonfuls of the corn/shrimp mixture into hot oil.
- Fry the cakes for about 2 minutes a side or until golden brown.
- Remove and cool on wire rack.
Make a quick salsa to top them with, or just squeeze fresh lemon and serve.
Can also be served over a garden salad with a buttermilk dressing.